10+ copies: $16.50 each
- Author: Philip E. DeVol
- ISBN: 978-1-934583-70-8
Interested in the Getting Ahead Workbook?
View excerpt here.
Facilitators of the Getting Ahead program are fired up about the results. They have seen firsthand what happens when people in poverty take charge of their lives, get support from their community, and create resources for themselves and their families. But this is no time to rest on laurels. Building on the success of Getting Ahead programs requires continuous innovation, fresh thinking, striving for excellence, and a commitment to best practices.
This updated and revised edition of Facilitator Notes for Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World reflects the evolution of great ideas supported by a learning experience that truly works for people who are struggling to get by in these tough times. Whether you represent a community, school, healthcare facility, legal system, employer program, or other entity, Getting Ahead represents the cutting edge of knowledge, techniques, and support—and the very best chance to help struggling families achieve a better quality of life.
Let’s face it: Poverty is getting worse. More and more people are slipping into situational poverty due to loss of employment, low wages, health issues, or other circumstances. Communities, agencies, and entities around the country—and world—are taking action to help people escape “the tyranny of the moment” and take control of their lives. This guide helps you help them do just that.
– Facilitates learning based on co-investigations by individuals and facilitators
– Relies as much on discussion as on program content
– Sets a concrete definition of poverty as “the extent to which an individual does without resources”
– Supports individuals in stabilizing their situations and building resources and human capital
– Addresses all four causes of poverty: individual behaviors and circumstances, community conditions, exploitation, and political/economic structures
– Employs self-assessment of resources and a personal My Life Now Mental Model to help conceptualize the difference between what life is like now and what life could be
“You need to trust yourself, the participants, the process, and, importantly, the curriculum. One piece leads to the next piece. If you let yourself fall into what the curriculum offers, you will be able to experience tremendous growth with the other participants.”
Getting Ahead Facilitator
“Bridges and Getting Ahead provide the framework and tools to truly address poverty effectively—from identifying and removing barriers to assisting and empowering individuals and families to achieve their life goals.
Founder and CEO
Community Collaboration and Integration (CCI), The Purpose Prize 2010 Winner