Find below information you can use for your Getting Ahead initiative. Whether you’re a program administrator, facilitator, grant writer, funder, investigator, or graduate of Getting Ahead, we hope you’ll many free resources of interest below.
About Getting Ahead
- Doing Less and Being More: This short passage of Chinese philosophy could have been written specifically for Getting Ahead facilitators.
- Infographic: Theory of Change: Use to explain Getting Ahead theory of change to sponsors, funders, and community members.
- From author, Phil DeVol: A two-part paper on:
- Kitchen-Table Learning Experience. This explains the look and feel of the Getting Ahead experience, provides information on recruiting, and describes the unique features of the GA learning experience.
- Investigation into Bonding and Social Capital. Create an image, or mental model, of your own.
- Reflections on Getting Ahead by Bonnie Bazata, executive director, St. Joseph County Bridges Out of Poverty
The resources below will prepare you to organize, coordinate, and/or facilitate a Getting Ahead group in you organization or community. Learn how this unique program can empower individuals and build sustainable communities.
- Investigations – Investigations into Economic Class in America is the college version of Getting Ahead, and the two curricula share a common approach and common ideas. Find tips and resources you may be able to apply to Getting Ahead at this site.
Launching Getting Ahead: Recruiting allies
Facilitating Getting Ahead
Funding Getting Ahead
- Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania gives Pocono Alliance $10k to Bridges initiative in Monroe County, PA, to provide Getting Ahead to 15 families.
- Steamboat Springs CO graduates its first Getting Ahead group. The Routt County Bridges Initiative raised $19,000 from Routt County United Way, LIFT-UP of Routt County and the Department of Human Services. The first class cost about $10,000; a second class is scheduled for the fall.
Sample Recruiting and Informational Brochures:
- Interview questions to use when inviting people to participate in Getting Ahead.
- Marion General Hospital in Ohio – Brochure for offering Getting Ahead to staff members.
- Various examples. The 2020 Club was for recruiting health care industry employees. Youngstown State University was recruiting college students, and Bucks County was recruiting community members.
- Getting Ahead daytime and evening flyers
Follow Us for Ongoing Support
We strive to provide continual support through our free monthly newsletter, Facebook page, and Pinterest page. Helpful articles, products, and information are provided regularly.