Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World is a book and a 45-hour workshop that helps individuals in poverty build their resources for a more prosperous life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
- New to Getting Ahead? Learn more about launching a Getting Ahead initiative in your community.
- Already a member of the Getting Ahead community? Click on the Getting Ahead Network to obtain resources and connections to support your Getting Ahead initiative.
- Getting Ahead Program Evaluation Results
- Poverty and the Controversial Work of Nonprofits (Michael Jindra and Ines W. Jindra) This article by two research scholars at the University of Notre Dame explores the difference between ‘relational’ approaches to poverty vs. the ‘structural’ approaches. Yes, there is a divide here too. Bridges and Getting Ahead are mentioned as one model that addresses poverty both ways.
- Connecting Poverty, Culture, and Cognition: The Bridges Out of Poverty Process (Ines W. Jindra and Michael Jindra)
- Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World: Program Evaluation Results (Elizabeth A. Wahler)
- Las Artes Getting Ahead One Year Report (Tucson, Arizona)
Getting Ahead provides people in poverty with the same information found in Bridges Out of Poverty, which was developed for professionals and others in the community working to end poverty.
The Getting Ahead curriculum:
- Involves rigorous work done in a safe learning environment with the support of an experienced facilitator and co-facilitator.
- Enables participants, called “investigators,” to examine their own experience of poverty as well as explore issues in the community that impact poverty − banking, housing, jobs, transportation − providing critical information the community can use to take action to end poverty.
- Guides investigators through an assessment of their own resources and how to build those resources as part of their move to self-sufficiency.
- Puts the concepts, tools, and relationships in the hands of people in poverty to make a difference in their own lives and in the life of their community.
Getting Ahead is offered throughout the U.S. and Canada and in other countries. Getting Ahead sites are located on this map.
We recently took the principles of Getting Ahead and created a complete reentry program for citizens returning from incarceration. Click here to learn more about this new initiative titled Getting Ahead While Getting Out.
You can also read Phil DeVol’s article on the distinguishing characteristics of Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World and the GA series of books.
Want to learn more about how Getting Ahead can help reduce poverty in your community? Call (800) 424-9484 or request more information.