Understanding and Engaging Under-Resourced College Students: A Fresh Look at the Influence of Economic Class on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Additional reading and activities may be assigned before and during this training. The work outside of the online training will take no more than 2 hours.
April 10 and 11, 2019
This workshop provides a deeper understanding of the challenges and strengths students from poverty bring to college. The information will help faculty, staff, and administration create the conditions that make success achievable, not merely accessible, for under-resourced students.
Based in part on Dr. Ruby Payne’s myth-shattering A Framework for Understanding Poverty and Phil DeVol and Terie Dreussi-Smith’s collaboration with Payne on Bridges Out of Poverty, this workshop provides practical solutions and innovative possibilities. The focused professional development moves faculty and staff through a transformational process by first building understanding of the “what and why” of under-resourced college students and then moving on to develop “how-to” teaching and program-design strategies to help students succeed.
Participants will learn to:
- Use teaching strategies to build cognitive ability
- Implement developmental models in their disciplines to move students from concrete learning to the abstract thinking and planning required in college
- Improve retention by building relationships of mutual trust and respect
- Work with under-resourced students to tap their knowledge and improve institutional policy and procedures
- Develop high-impact community engagement strategies
- Redesign programs to better serve students in poverty
Please note that if you are registering within five business days of this event, you will be charged for expedited shipping of the training materials. Please contact Gail Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (281) 502-3006 to provide payment information for the expedited shipping.
This course uses VOIP technology, and we strongly recommend using a headset. If you need a headset, you may purchase one from our online store.
View our cancellation policy.