Help individuals in poverty build their resources for a more prosperous life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World is both a book and a 16-session workshop that supports people in poverty as they create their own plan for stability. It embeds the concepts of Bridges Out of Poverty into a format where participants, called “investigators,” examine the impact of poverty on themselves and their communities.
Getting Ahead helps investigators understand how to use the hidden rules of class to build up financial, emotional, social, and other resources. Understanding the hidden rules of the middle class and wealth, and choosing to use them, can open doors to new relationships, new jobs, and higher resources. Working in a facilitated group, investigators explore economic realities, complete a self-assessment of their resources, make plans to build resources that are lacking, and develop an image, or “mental model,” of community prosperity.
It is important to note that Getting Ahead is not a stand-alone program. Getting Ahead is linked to Bridges Out of Poverty workshops that build collaboration in the community, provide support for Getting Ahead graduates as they build their resources, and encourage change on the individual, institutional, and community levels.
To learn more about Getting Ahead, click below:
- Kitchen-Table Learning Experience. This explains the look and feel of the Getting Ahead experience, provides information on recruiting, and describes the unique features of the GA learning experience.
- Investigation into Bonding and Social Capital. Create an image, or mental model, of your own.
- Reflections on Getting Ahead by Bonnie Bazata, executive director, St. Joseph County Bridges Out of Poverty
- Adopt a Family of Marin, San Rafael, CA: An overview of Getting Ahead with comments from Getting Ahead graduates
- Stillwater, OK, Bridges Out of Poverty update: An excellent example of Getting Ahead programs supported by a Bridges community
Click below to read about:
- Launching Getting Ahead – Information and resources for:
- Getting Ahead Network – Resources and connections to support your Getting Ahead initiative.
Working with middle or high school students? R Rules: A Guide for Teens to Identify and Build Resources is an excellent precursor to Getting Ahead for younger people. Ask about our R Rules facilitator workshop, delivered to your organization at a time of your choosing.
The resources below will prepare you to organize, coordinate, and/or facilitate a Getting Ahead group in you organization or community. Learn how this unique program can empower individuals and build sustainable communities.
- Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World
- R Rules: A Guide for Teens to Identify and Build Resources
- From Vision to Action
Want to learn more about how Getting Ahead can help reduce poverty in your community? Call (800) 424-9484 or request more information.