Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World is a book and a 45-hour workshop that helps individuals in poverty build their resources for a more prosperous life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Its fundamental idea is that people in poverty are the experts on their own situations. They can be empowered to take control of their lives and make good decisions about themselves and their families.
Getting Ahead provides people in poverty with the same information found in Bridges Out of Poverty, which was developed for professionals and others in the community working to end poverty.
The Getting Ahead curriculum:
- Involves rigorous work done in a safe learning environment with the support of an experienced facilitator and co-facilitator.
- Enables participants, called “investigators,” to examine their own experience of poverty as well as explore issues in the community that impact poverty − banking, housing, jobs, transportation − providing critical information the community can use to take action to end poverty.
- Guides investigators through an assessment of their own resources and how to build those resources as part of their move to self-sufficiency.
- Puts the concepts, tools, and relationships in the hands of people in poverty to make a difference in their own lives and in the life of their community.
Getting Ahead is offered throughout the U.S. and Canada and in other countries. Getting Ahead sites are located on this map.
For an overview of Getting Ahead with comments from workshop graduates, watch this short video, Adopt a Family of Marin, San Rafael, CA.
Click below to read about:
- Launching Getting Ahead – Information and resources for:
- Getting Ahead Network – Resources and connections to support your Getting Ahead initiative.
Want to learn more about how Getting Ahead can help reduce poverty in your community? Call (800) 424-9484 or request more information.